Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Blog Post #2 ~ Supreme Court Reflection

Supreme Court Reflection




What I Found Interesting/Surprising

I didn't know that people refer to the 14th Amendment to be the second Bill of Rights. Being able to protect individuals against excessive state power. I thought the Bill of Rights covered state power and Federal already.

I don't really keep up with a bunch of these things, but when I first heard in the video initially that they get 7,000 cases but only take like a couple hundred, that's still a lot of cases. Hence, it just makes me wonder how they can cover so many cases because different cases have different durations. Surly, some can take multiple days or maybe in a couple of months or more. Hence, it just makes me wonder how the top dog of Courts handles so many cases at once. I'm sure they have staff and a bunch of lawyers to help with the process, but still, seems like a lot.

I know there are different levels of court systems, district / superior courts being the lowest and the Courts of Appeals being like the intimate court right below the Supreme Court, which is the top dog / highest court in the US.

What I learned

I think it's it's pretty obvious when you have multiple judges for a case that they would try to be civil about it. When they're doing a procedure, they try to make sure everyone speaks once before others speak again or twice. From what I gathered, they try everything in their power to be fair and equal and make sure stuff is agreed on when stuff gets tense, ideas get left behind, opinions change, or when opinions do change when concluding a decision.

Learning about the opening 30-minute statement and oral argument is a lot more intricate than it seems. It's a dialogue back and forth between the Justices and the attorney. Sometimes, the justices bounce off of the attorney to have a conversation, and they all have their own separate ideas and ways of thinking. When I think about it does feel like they're having a conversation but very scrambled because they're talking about all these things and opinions and questions within 30 minutes, which is kind of crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #10 ~ EOTO Terms & Concepts (llusory Truth Effect)

Illusory Truth Effect The Illusory Truth Effect is quite the instreaming theory. From a citizen's perspective, it's not a good thing...